The diet industry is just that- an industry. But it’s a very influential industry, and coupled with the media it’s an extremely powerful force. Every day girls of all ages are being told – you are not good enough.
You are not thin enough. You are not pretty. Why are your thighs touching? You eat too much. See that Barbie? That should be you.
Think I’m exaggerating? Take a look at the statistics:
- 50 percent of girls between the ages of 13 and 15 believe they are overweight.
- 40-60 percent of high school girls are on a diet.
- 30-40 percent of junior high girls are concerned about their weight.
- 80 percent of 13 year old girls have dieted.
- 40 percent of nine-year-old girls have dieted.